Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Tamam-e-umr tera intezaar kiya

I was listening to a ghazal by Ghulam Ali Tamam-e-umr tera intezaar kiya; is intezaar mein kis kis se pyaar humne kiya for the umpteenth time, and everytime I listen to it, it sounds fresh to my ears and my eyes well up. Though I don't know how many people have listened to this, but it has become one of my favourite ghazals, apart from the popular ones like Chupke chupke and Hungama hai kyun. I first heard this when Najeem Arshad sang it in Idea Star Singer 2007. It was an amazing performance and excellent rendering of such a difficult composition.

I think this is set in Hamsanandi raagam; Raag Pooriya Dhanashri in Hindustani Classical Music. I'm not well-versed with Urdu, but the lyrics of this ghazal are so simple that anyone can understand. Whenever I listen to Ghulam Ali, I feel goosebumps; so deep is his involvement in what he is singing; forgetting the whole world yet immersing everyone in to his rendition.

Tamam-e-Umr Intezar humne Kiya
Tamam-e-Umr Intezar humne Kiya
Is intezaar mein kis kis se pyaar humne kiya
Tamamee-Umr Intezar humne Kiya


Talash-e-dosth ko ik umru chaahiye dosth
Talash-e-dosth ko ik umru chaahiye dosth
Ki ek umr tera inthazaar humne kiya
Ki ek umr tera inthazaar humne kiya

Tere khayal mein dil shaadma raha… barson
Tere khayal mein dil shaadma raha barson
Tere huzoor ise so gavaar humne kiya
Tere huzoor ise so gavaar hum…..ne kiya

Ye thishnagi hai ke unse kareeb rahekar bhi
Ye thishnagi hai ke unse kareeb rahekar bhi
Hafees yaad unhe bar bar humne kiya
Hafees yaad unhe bar bar hum…ne kiya

Is intezaar mein kis kis se pyaar humne kiya
Tamam-e-Umr Intezar hum.......ne Kiya

Following is a fabulous jugal bandi between Dr Balamurali Krishna and Srimati Kishori Amonkar in the same raagas.

Puriya Dhanashri -...

Puriya Dhanashri -...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Surprising, really I am searching the Gazal song for downloading which you mentioned your blog, while I come in your blog, so your post help me to more know about this Gazal song and lyric.

Keep it up and continue more posts about the music.

Bava Eranhikkal

Unknown said...

Came across your comment. This ghazal was written by my grandfather, Hafeez Hoshiarpuri. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Anusha Iyer said...

Hi Bava, Thank you for your comments. Actually I hardly blog in this space. please read more about music on anushai.wordpress.com

Anusha Iyer said...

Hi Mustafa, I'm glad I got a response from someone whose grandfather has penned the lyrics. Thank you!

Krishnaraj Mahadevan said...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7854291945603618501

Beautifully sung by najim arshad in Idea Star Singer.

If above link doesn't work, search for "najim arshad ghazal" in google.

- Krishnaraj

Rajesh said...

Hi,

I got the song downloaded finally. Do tell me a way to upload it or if u can send me a test mail to my email id is cmr.raj@gmail.com, i can send it.

Regards,
Rajesh

Wealth and joy beyond reason said...

Hey good one.. this raag is close to hamsanandhi but not that. This song has the pancham coming many times. Hamsanandhi or sohni as it is popularly called doesnt have the Pancham.. This raag is more a janya ( subset ) of the raag gamanasrama in carnatic music. which is a sampurna raag :)

Unknown said...

Sit..so in Hindustani...can you confirm if it is puriya dhanasree or some other raag??..

Thanks
Sai Krishna